Thursday, February 18, 2010

WorldHum's Frank Bures asks Peter Hessler about COUNTRY DRIVING

"You write that in China your learning curve never flattened out, because “China is the kind of country where you constantly discover something new, and revelations occur on a daily basis. One of the most important discoveries is the fact that the Chinese share this sensation. The place changes too fast ... We were all out of place; nobody has today’s China figured out.” I found that interesting. As a writer, I imagine there’s some advantage in that."

"I suppose that’s why I stayed for more than a decade and wrote a set of three books. I felt like I could undertake these big projects without repeating myself. Some of it was simply the size and range of the country, but it was also the issue of change that you mentioned."